Genteel and largely residential, the Georgian Quarter is known for its classical 18th-century architecture. The neo-Gothic towers of the red-brick Anglican Cathedral overlook the neat symmetry of Hope Street’s elegant Georgian townhouses. Students from the colonnaded Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, founded by Paul McCartney, fill traditional pubs, while fine-dining restaurants serve an upscale clientele.
History Of Georgian Quarter
The Liverpool Corporation Surveyor, John Foster Sr. (1758–1827), prepared a gridiron plan for the large area of peat bog known as Mosslake Fields in 1800. The bog is to the east of Rodney Street. The area was built for and populated by the wealthy of Liverpool. With the city's decline in the 20th century, many became unfashionable and derelict. Areas along Upper Parliament Street, Grove Street and Myrtle Street were reconstructed. The tide has turned in this area and many people are drawn to it. Nevertheless, an Office for National Statistics is found to be one of the most deprived districts in the UK.
Places you should Visit when you come to Georgian
Saint Philip neri Church -
The English city of Liverpool is home to St Philip Neri Church, which serves as the Catholic chaplaincy for the region around its universities. The cathedral features a Byzantine inspired design by architect PS Gilby and was built between 1914 and 1920. The exterior friezes of the church depict the Last Supper and Our Lady and Child Jesus. Titles conferred on Our Lady at the Council of Ephesus in 431 AD, "Deipara" and "Theotokos", can be seen above door entrances.
There is also a large stone inscribed in Latin set in the wall bearing the name of Thomas, Archbishop of Liverpool 8 Oct 1916 which dates from 1929.The parish of St Nicholas grew out of a nearby school, The Institute which opened in 1853. According to John Henry Newman, this place was visited by the founder of the English Oratorians. A Church was named after Saint Philip Neri in honour of John Henry Newman since he founded the original Oratory church.There are currently more than 32,000 parish records that date back as far as the 1800s available for public viewing at Liverpool Record Office.
Now a Spanish-style garden that was originally built after World War II, as priest Father John Garvin wanted to provide the neighbourhood with fresh air and greenery. The cathedral became the chaplaincy for two universities (the University of Liverpool and John Moores) in September 2001, when St. Clement's chaplaincy relocated from its former home opposite the university of Liverpool guild student area on Mount Pleasant. A Grade II* listed building, the church recently received a grant of £72,000 to help remedy water ingress damage to its mosaic tiling.
The Oratory, Liverpool -
The Oratory stands to the north of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral in Merseyside, England. It was originally the mortuary chapel to St. James Cemetery, and houses a collection of 19th-century sculpture. The Oratory was built in 1829, and remains a vital part of the city after its conversion to a funeral home. It was designed by John Foster when Liverpool Cemetery closed in 1850, the building fell into disuse.
Standing at the entrance of this centuries-old parish church is a statue of none other than Abraham Lincoln. They're in the form of a Greek Doric temple. On each end is a portico with six columns. There is one of the most famous buildings in Liverpool. It is lit from above, and inside there are rows of windows supported by Ionic columns. Foster's Pollard and Pevsner consider this to be the architect's best surviving building. Liverpool Cathedral was designated as a Grade I listed building in 1952. In the National Heritage List for England it is described as "one of the purest monuments of the Greek Revival in England".Surrounding best-rated oratories in the city of Liverpool are cast iron railings and gate piers that have been listed at Grade II.
Inside the building are several statues and monuments, many of which date back to the 18th century.The list of monuments includes one to the Nicholson family commissioned by Francis Chantrey and built in 1834, as well as monuments for William Earle (1839), Dr. Stevenson (1853), William Hammerton (1832), and others. There is a statue of William Huskisson by Gibson that was formerly in the Custom House.
Sheppard-Worlock Statue -
The Sheppard-Worlock Statue is a statue located in Liverpool, England to commemorate two of the city's former bishops; David Sheppard (the Anglican Bishop of Liverpool), and Derek Worlock (the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Liverpool). It was designed by Stephen Broadbent. David Sheppard and Derek Worlock were two men who dedicated their careers to the people of Liverpool. They achieved, among other things, a great deal of economic restructuring after World War II with the launching of “Operation Bootstrap” in 1967. The Statue was commissioned in 2005 to honour these two men.
The aim of the statue was to create a lasting memorial for two religious leaders whose presence in Liverpool led them to stand tall during the bitter days of the 1970s and 1980s. Despite coming from different churches in a city historically divided between Catholics and Protestants, Bishop David and Archbishop Derek were uniting forces; they worked closely together with other religious leaders.
The commission for a new sculpture was won by artist Stephen Broadbent, and the design includes two 15ft bronze doors surrounded with symbols of their lives and ministry. Through the open doors the viewer can see both cathedrals signifying the unity the churchmen, affectionately dubbed “fish and chips” as they were always together and never out of the papers, strove to achieve.